[3830] IARU K8CN SOABCW QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K8CN SOABCW QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 18:54:44 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOABCW QRP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    2     0       1       1
   80:   23     0       5       2
   40:  150     0      14      15
   20:  174     0      18      16
   15:   66     0       8       6
   10:   52     0       5       2
-------------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I knew in advance that a visit from our oldest granddaughter would sideline me
for a good part of this contest, but I didn't reckon on a couple of other
hitches cropping up.  My only regret is that I didn't push through my summer
drowsiness at 0430Z - too warm in the shack to maintain concentration, and the
lack of an 80 meter antenna is a disincentive to keep BIC.

As has been the case for this QRP station on the downward slide of the solar
cycle, IARU HF has become a chase for 1-pointers with the occasional 5-pointer
being the reward for persistence.  How well I remember the 2014 edition with my
score in the 240K range - hah!  The IARU HQ stations have great ears, which
makes for some relief when conditions are not kind to QRP ops.  The most fun is
finding a new zone multiplier on a seemingly dead band late at night - and
bagging it!

Thanks to all the patient ops who somehow decode my very weak signals and stay
with me until the exchange is completed - you're the greatest!

Next year's improvements?  1) A fan in the shack, and 2) a real antenna for 80
meters.

73,
Mike, K8CN

Rig: K3 @ 5 Watts, Lazy H cut for 20 meters and used on all bands.  At its
present height, it's really just a 40 meter dipole with a funny counterpoise too
close to the house roof.