[3830] IARU AE0EE SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU AE0EE SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 02:57:43 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: MN
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:    9             4       1
   80:   33             8       2
   40:   51     14     10      10
   20:  112     15     15       9
   15:    6      3      3       2
   10:   12      1      2       1
-------------------------------------
Total:  223     33     42      25  Total Score = 46,096

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipoles up 5-10 m, CW keyed on a Vibroplex bug.

It was great to have 10 and 15 m open.  I made a fair number of contacts there,
including some DX on 15.  There seemed to be a pipeline to NU1AW, and I worked
them on all six bands, many of them both modes.

At night the static wasn't too bad here, with most of the storms out of the
region.  I was able to hear well enough to contact Brazil on 80 m, which will be
a new band if it confirms.

I didn't work very much DX, though there was some on 20 m and some on 40 m,
particularly to Europe.  Around 0300z Europe was doing pretty well on 40 m, and
I made the mistake of going to 80 m to see if I could hear any EU there---I
couldn't, and lost time with a good opening to needed multipliers and
high-point-value contacts.

The bands seemed a little unstable, with some QSB, but mostly they just sounded
pretty closed.  Much of the time all I could hear were stations in the US and
Canada.

I did have a nice run on 20 m for about an hour, making about 60 QSOs in that
time before a DX station came on the frequency and couldn't hear my 100 watts.

I seemed to have some RFI problems on 40 m SSB; on a stably <2:1 antenna, the
rig would often trip over "high SWR".  The connections seemed okay,
and it worked on the other bands.

All told, it was a fun contest.  I didn't hit it as hard as I might have (the
SKCC Weekend Sprintathon was running concurrently and until 2359z Sunday), but
found it enjoyable.