[3830] IARU K6DAJ(@N6RO) SOAB(A)CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K6DAJ(@N6RO) SOAB(A)CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 03:42:51 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: K6DAJ
Operator(s): K6DAJ
Station: N6RO

Class: SOAB(A)CW HP
QTH: Oakley, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23.75
Radios: SO2R

  160:    20    0       8       2
   80:   116    0      16       8
   40:   503    0      36      26
   20:   527    0      36      33
   15:   102    0      11       8
   10:     3    0       1       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  1271    0     110      77  Total Score = 733,788

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Nothing like a contest to learn to adapt strategy on the fly based on conditions
and what does/doesn't work, make some DX Qs and have some good runs (best
1-minute rate was 300.) It doesn't hurt to do it from a great station and a
gracious host. And it makes you appreciate getting to sleep finally.

Daytime 20 meter propagation to Europe was very light for the first half of the
contest, and I never heard a European on 15 meters. Concerned that I would miss
the HQs, I spent quite a bit of time trying to work them. In retrospect, this
was a mistake and hurt my Q total, as 40m ended up opening early to Europe and
staying open, and 20m had a great late night opening with many of these same
stations booming in. That was a thrilling few hours with both bands
simultaneously wide open to both Europe and Asia.

This was my first full time IARU effort. I used two keyboards and found SO2R
techniques to be easier than with a single keyboard.  I also used N1MM+ function
key messages to have OTRSP move the non-transmitting radio's audio to mono, then
back to stereo at the end of each transmission. Need to work on tweaking the
message lengths to make this more seamless. Not withstanding a few QLF moments
fueled by exhaustion, it worked well.  This was also the first extended use of
the newly-arrived PGXL amplifier, which worked flawlessly.