[3830] IARU N8II SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU N8II SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 21:05:35 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:  130            13      22
   20:   84     79     21      22
   15:   71     21     13      19
   10:   44     19      8      15
-------------------------------------
Total:  329    119     55      78  Total Score = 153,748

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Log was submitted before deadline. The XYL has health issues and I knew that I
could not put in much time. Chores/care really kept me busy until about 18Z,
then I decided why bother until change of heart at 1910Z. I was glad I operated
because there was fantastic sporadic E into New England and EU until about 2230Z
or later.
10M propagation highlight was hearing 4Z7ZZ calling IO8HQ on 10 SSB; that's a
really long haul via Es! And, I was copying Israel better than IO8HQ. There was
good HQ activity on 10 and 15, unfortunately not many other stations on SSB! My
first Q at 1910Z was EI7M on 10 CW followed by several W1's and FL stations and
a few to the west like VE3CX. Soon after, TM0HQ, GR2HQ, and 9A went into the 10
CW log. Then, there was Es in the Caribbean with good signals from P44W, KP4EJ,
and 8P5A same band. When I switched to 10 SSB, 6 EU HQ stations were worked
quickly including YT, I, HB9, LZ, and 9A, but the rest of EU was asleep at the
switch. I was able to run a mixture of mostly NA with a few EU on 15 CW which
was also open to deep SA and Hawaii probably via a mixture of Es and F2. Many
more EU Q's would have been possible with more EU activity.

20 did not sound that great in the 23Z hour, lots of space in between some
booming EU mostly HQ stations and some Es to the west. The west coast guys were
staying quite busy. At 0239Z, I returned to 20 CW to find some Russian Asians in
zones 31,32, and 34 as well as KL0R and lots of NA stations. I finished up
running on SSB after calling NH7 and was called by two ZL's and one VK4 with
fading conditions to the west coast by 0315Z.

40 CW was fun, but no magic runs. About 60% of Q's and a higher percentage of
points were S&P; the noise was about normal for July, could have been a lot
worse. We did have storms very close by at 21Z. I expected maybe a few more HQ
stations on 40 CW.

Hats off to the 24 hour all band efforts from EU HQ stations and to NU1AW who I
worked everywhere I was except 20 phone. K1ZZ also seemed to be everywhere on
CW.

Thanks for the Q's, much better conditions than generally the past couple of
weeks!

73, Jeff