[3830] CQWW VHF N1PRW SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, as@shawsheen.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF N1PRW SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 02:36:27 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2019

Call: N1PRW
Operator(s): N1PRW
Station: N1PRW

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 17

    6:  43     29
    2:   3      3
-------------------
Total:  46     32  Total Score = 1,568

Club:

Comments:

QRP operation in Andover, Mass at 130' ASL. Weather was sunny and hot, 93F.
Station Equipment:
- Yaesu FT-817ND @ 5 Watts
- 1/2 wavelength 6m aluminum dipole, homemade
- Elk 2M/440L5 portable log periodic antenna

Strong band enhancement Saturday afternoon allowed for many QSOs and grids on
FT8 and phone. Sunday saw some limited enhancements and then a spectacular final
hour. During this last hour I was in the only two phone pileups I heard all
contest, one with a successful outcome for me. My best CQ WW VHF score ever, the
result of excellent condx and putting in much more time than usual.

Early in Saturday's enhancement I experienced a frustrating hour of watching FT8
on the WSJT-X screen unable to cut through the QRM and get heard. After more
than an hour of listening to the howling noise on 50.313 and not making a single
QSO with it I spun the dial down to .145 or so and hit a couple of DX USB phone
contacts like locals. No pileups, just DX from EM-land with an exchange returned
on the first try.

During periods of little to no 50 MHz enhancement my QSO rate was quite low. I
did well to occasionally try FT8 on 144 where I picked up three local grids and
helped my score.

I started the contest on battery but this didn't last long. FT8 performance on
the gel-cells was unpredictable and RF output was unstable. Since I was at home
I connected a 12V 10A bench supply to the FT-817 Saturday evening and ran it
through Sunday afternoon. This is the first time using this bench power supply
for a contest and it performed well and got rid of the output problems I was
having on battery. The bench supply may have improved my success rate on FT8.

This contest score is determined by FT8 performance and length of time on-air.
While phone scored QSOs and grids, 85% of my score came from FT8. Given the
transmit duty-cycle requirement of FT8 and the problems of transporting this
much power plus a computer on hilltopping expeditions, FT8 and its importance to
scoring spells the end of QRP hilltopping for me.

Fun contest though. Good time.

73 Alexander N1PRW