[3830] CQWW VHF KR1ST SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alex@kr1st.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF KR1ST SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2019 02:10:22 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2019

Call: KR1ST
Operator(s): KR1ST
Station: KR1ST

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FN21
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  214   101
    2:   30    17
-------------------
Total:  244   118  Total Score = 32,332

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Rig:  IC-9100
Pwr:  100W
Ants: 3 elements 6m yagi (M2 6M3 @29ft)
      9 elements 2m yagi (M2 2M9SSB @32ft)
Elev: 1900+ ft

This was a part time casual effort, playing a few hours here and there due to
the heat wave. I have no AC and the temperature in the shack reached 89F. I can
only imagine what it would be like if I were to run QRO. I spent a good bit of
the contest in and around the pool. :)

I was a bit afraid it would turn into a FTx only contest, but was pleasantly
surprised to find a lot of SSB activity on 6m. It seemed that 6m was open every
time I was in the shack from the start of the contest to about 10pm on Saturday.
On Sunday the band seemed to be open to FL all day, until the cloud seemed to
shift to the West about an hour before the end of the contest.

Two meters was a different story. I've called CQ many times there, but no
takers. A lot of the stations I worked on FT8, I could have worked on SSB. I do
think that I didn't work too many station on 2m because of the band openings on
6m, not because of FT8. I did not catch any enhancements on 2m. Because of
thunderstorms moving in on Sunday I had to quit the contest early, just as 6m
started to open up more towards the West.

I did work more stations on FT4 than on FT8, on 6m. I tried FT4 on 2m, but no
takers. I do like FT4 a whole lot better because of the quick, almost RTTY-like,
turnaround time. FT8 is just too slow for me in a contest as I have no patience;
ask my wife. :) I was a bit surprised that not more folks were on FT4, as it
didn't seem to me that the extra few dB's FT8 has to offer was needed, and that
with these great 6m openings the emphasis would be on making as many QSO's as
possible.

Especially fun was working K2IL (FL, 1000mi) calling me with only 0.5W on 6m,
and working WB2JAY/R in 4 grids while he was driving through 4 grids at a
gridsquare corner. We even managed a FM contact on 2m for a grid I needed.
AC0RA/R was LOUD as usual, and it was really fun to work so many rovers in
multiple grids during this contest (WD9HBF/R, NU4E/R, N2SLN/R, KB4GRD/R,
KA9VVQ/R, K9JK/R, K9ILT/R). The only countries worked outside of W/VE were EA8,
CO8, 9Z, C6, and VP9. Of course it was also great to see so many friends in this
contest! I enjoyed the short chats.

Thanks to CQ WW for sponsoring the contest, the rovers for going out braving the
heat, and everyone for the QSO's, and I hope see you in the next one.

73,
--Alex KR1ST (FN21)

 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd  Pt/Q
    50  FT4     55      55   20   1.0
    50  FT8     33      33   19   1.0
    50  USB    126     126   62   1.0
   144  CW       2       4    1   2.0
   144  FM       1       2    1   2.0
   144  FT8     23      46   12   2.0
   144  USB      4       8    3   2.0
 Total  Both   244     274  118   1.1
Score: 32,332

FTx/traditional modes ratio = 111/244 = 0.45