[3830] NAQP RTTY K3CCR M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY K3CCR M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:34:58 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM W3GB
Station: K3CCR

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

   80:   77    23
   40:  100    36
   20:   59    32
   15:   64    26
   10:
-------------------
Total:  300   117  Total Score = 35,100

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC.

N3UM and W3GB did Multi-Op 2 Tx in July 2019 NAQP RTTY, to support
PVRC in the “side-bet" with other clubs. For years this has been
for us a casual effort, a few hours with 1 RTTY Tx and then going to
160 SSB in Feb. or CQ VHF in July. Last Feb. we had 2 Tx for the
first time, but N3UM went to 160 SSB at 23Z.

In July we both did NAQP RTTY only and got a much better score,
35.1 K vs 25.8 K in Feb.

To start N3UM tried 40m. but got only 1 QSO! On a hunch he QSYd
to 15m. and found strong signals from SC to CA, obviously a
mix of F and sporadic-E skip. Rate was slow but steady; he got
51 Qs and 20 mults on 15m. by 2109Z.

We were distracted by 2 to 12 garbage characters displayed before
monitored F-key messages sent by W3GB’s computer. Unclear if this
garble was sent out or was a monitoring artifact. We found that Qs
could still be made OK; ops coped with the on-screen garbage, if any.

The distraction cost some time but W3GB still got 59 Qs and 32 mults
on 20m, including AK and HI, better than we did in Feb.

After dark N3UM got on 40m, mostly tuning, and W3GB on 80m, mostly
running. Results on 40 were very close to those in Feb, but summer QRN
and fewer dark hours made the July 80m. numbers slightly lower than Feb.

We got only 10 more total Qs than in Feb, but 28 more mults.
Shockingly good condx on 15m. more than made up for fair condx on 80.
We made NO QSOs in Feb. on 15m.

On all bands we worked 44 states, all but RI, VT, OK, NE, MT, and WY. Clearly
low activity, not condx, denied us these multi.