[3830] IOTA K1IMI M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA K1IMI M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 18:22:34 +0000
                    IOTA Contest - 2019

Call: K1IMI
Operator(s): K1IMI W4TMO
Station: K1IMI

Class: M/S LP
QTH: NA-137
Operating Time (hrs): 10.6

   80:
   40:  131      18
   20:  222      35
   15:   11       0
   10:
Total:  354      53       0        0  Total Score = 136,210

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

We had a great time despite limiting ourselves to daylight hours
and the band conditions.
We were off to a great start, but that
petered out after an hour or so. From then on, we had to really
work to (1) actually be heard, and (2) to be heard by who we
called! Stations would fade completely within half a minute! Band
conditions on 20 improved from mid-afternoon until just before
sunset. Just before sunset, 40M was replete with Europeans
working Europeans...and we just couldn't get through to the
running stations, but that improved with time, and we had some
decent rates.  Just after dark we tried 80M and couldn't contact
anybody there, so we packed it in, calling it a day.
Jim (W4TMO)
and I alternated operating every couple hours and took a couple
hours' break to take down the station, eat seafood at a nearby
restaurant, come back to our spot (just opposite "Land's End"
gift shop on Bailey Island), set up and get back to "work".
During a break in the AM, Jim went for a walk and discovered a
small group(?) of Nigerian Dwarf goats behind the gift
shop...they were there to "control" (eat?) the poison ivy... They
were fun to watch!
This year we used a K3 and a fiberglass
pole/mast where we suspended a half-size MFJ G5RV at 30 feet.
This was the same antenna setup we used in Expedition Mode during
the Florida QSO Party last Spring. The K3 tuner handles it
beautifully. Our mast stand was fabricated from 2 X 8's and
clamps---we would drive a tire over it to hold the mast in place
-- unsightly, but effective!
Weather was great, but the mosquitos were terrible during the initial setup,
then later during take-down in the dark!
We had fun. Thanks to all who
tried to work us.