[3830] NAQP CW AB7E Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, xdavid@cis-broadband.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AB7E Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 03:44:10 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: AB7E
Operator(s): AB7E
Station: AB7E

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Southern Arizona
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  130    37
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  130    37  Total Score = 4,810

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Team: AOCC Scoundrels

Comments:

This was really disappointing.  I started off kind of rusty, having not been in
a CW contest for quite a while, although my keyboard dexterity felt more clumsy
than my CW.  I got more comfortable fairly soon, but then the storm clouds
started moving in over the mountain behind me.  Having lost about $1200 worth of
ham gear (rotator controller) and computer CPU/motherboard to nearby lightning
activity a few years ago, I shut down as soon as I heard the thunder.

The clouds overhead dissipated a few hours later so I briefly gave it another
try, but the storm activity around me was still going strong and the static
crashes were really bad.  I went outside to look and since I live on a mountain
hillside I could literally see heavy rain and lightning within five miles north,
east, and south of me ... all at the same time.  I know from personal experience
that lightning can happen a few miles away from the actual storm, so I shut down
again.  I probably shouldn't have tried again in the first place.  Things got
quieter after dark, but by then I couldn't see if there were heavy clouds
overhead or not so I decided not to tempt another try.  My tower is
exceptionally well grounded, the shield of my coax is bonded to the tower both
at the top and the bottom of the tower, and my tower, shack, and service panel
are all bonded together ... but I don't trust storms and usually have everything
disconnected if there is even a hint of lightning.

This is why I hate summer contesting.  The weather forecast had been for 20% or
less chance of rain, but as usual they lied.

Dave   AB7E