[3830] 222Up K1RZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1rz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] 222Up K1RZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 03:59:25 +0000
                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2019

Call: K1RZ
Operator(s): K1RZ
Station: K1RZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FM19jh
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
  222:   41
  432:   48
  903:   24
  1.2:   19
  2.3:   11
  3.4:    8
  5.7:    4
  10G:    9
  24G:
------------
Total:  164  Total Score = 102,913

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

There is something amazing about the distance aspect of this contest.  It is
such a thrill to work some very distant DX on the 222 and up bands.  And then to
be rewarded for the distance part makes it one of my favorite contests.  As
noted by others it is a bit slower paced.  You can naturally take some extra
time to wait for the signal to come up out of the noise and complete the
contact.
Thanks everyone for getting on the bands.  I felt that activity was good and the
bands were normal.   But I heard about conditions on 5.7 GHz and 10 GHz that
seemed enhanced based on the distance of the achieved.   I guess my timing was
wrong as I did not see such contacts on my side. Next year is coming.
Thanks to the Rovers who were well represented by N9ZL, KD3PD, NN3Q, W2RMA,
WB2SIH, KF2MR and K2EZ.  We fixed stations all owe you a debt of gratitude.
Roving is a lot of work.   Thanks for Roving, from the rest of us.
Final Note about Thunderstorms.    Don’t operate when a Thunderstorm is Close.
  Close is dependent on several factors – most of which are a bit hard to
quantify.  Saturday I shut down at 2200 local when a real time lightning program
called “Spark” (inside the WeatherBug app) indicated the closest lightning
strikes were just to my west and inside the 10 mile range marker.   Over the
next two hours the storm front moved over me and the band of lightning passed
east of me and was about 10 miles away when I brought up the station and started
making contacts again.  And then there was a strike at 1.3 miles distance.   I
quickly shut down again and called it a night.  But in the morning I found that
the rotor would not turn.  It turns out the rotor is still good and the problem
was isolated to the controller, probably due to induced voltage from that close
strike the night before.   I had left the antennas pointed northeast Saturday
night, so I could work a few stations that I had not worked on Saturday, but
quite often, I could only work them on the lower bands as I could not rotate to
peak any station.
But other than that, it was a good time.  And I look forward to the 2020 222 and
Up Distance Contest.    Thanks ARRL for sponsoring this great activity.     73
Dave   K1RZ

       Band Mode      QSOs         Pts
         420  CW      14           6151
         420  FM       2            117