[3830] KsQP N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] KsQP N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 00:35:53 +0000
                    Kansas QSO Party - 2019

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 15.8

   80:   10      2
   40:  157     83
   20:  191    152
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  358    237      0  Mults = 105  Total Score = 162,640

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had little hope of putting in a big effort going into the weekend. The XYL has
a new serious health issue and was not well over the weekend. Bless my daughter
Sabrina for helping out a lot Sunday with house chores and helping my XYL.

The sweep was a big surprise, first one was 6 years ago in 2013. I didn't plan
on even getting close, so did not track routes or needed counties. Numbers
101-104 Sunday were W0B/N0Q in EDW at 1650Z (thought this was a lost cause after
missing Butch,K0O Saturday), N0R in MEA at 1706, W0O (Jon,W0ZQ with his
bodacious mobile signal) in JAC at 1817, and W0O in BRO at 1857. After that I
checked a few routes for any hope of Wallace. I did not notice W0BH's handy rare
counties chart which would have told me there was someone going there. All
counties were scheduled to be covered at least twice. After checking on the XYL
and putting away dishes in the last hour, I checked the spots and could not
believe my eyes. There was N0E (Ron AD0DX) spotted in Wallace on 20 SSB, one
call and S-W-E-E-P!! And to boot, I found Ron, N0E right in the last minute on
my own on 20 CW for my last QSO!

I checked and also appear to have worked all of the 56 1x1 calls for a double
sweep(W0Q not active). Drew, W0K was the only fixed station worked 6 times both
modes 80-20M. Thanks to all of the ops who put them on the air. I worked
probably around 10 regular KS calls also. Bonus station KS0KS was worked on 40
and 20 both modes.

The mobiles are the heart and soul of the KSQP; many counties are less than 10K
population with little or no HF activity. So, they provide many counties
impossible to work otherwise. Thanks to team Bob, W0BH for 50 Q's, XYL Lorna N0U
23 Q's, and Aaron N0Q for 19 Q's. Tally for other mobiles K0A, Con K5CM and Pam
N5KW 49 Q's + 1 dupe, N0W Bill N0AC with 46 Q's, K0O Butch WY0A who always
provides many rare ones and also has a great signal on 40 (I almost always heard
him no matter time of day!) with 37 SSB Q's, K0I, Mark KI0I with 35 Q's from his
part time effort with many CW to SSB QSY's, N0R Alan 30, N0K Charles 29, W0O Jon
27, K0T Tanner 21 SSB, N0U 20, N0E 8, W0I 6 SSB. I missed more spotted Q's than
I should have.

Conditions were poor on Saturday, there just was not enough energy from ole sol
to ionize the F layer sufficiently. Signal started weakening by 20Z on 20 and by
21Z the band was a near wasteland. The last strong signal heard on 20 was around
2130Z when I took a dinner break, upon return at 2220, there were almost none. I
eked out a few whispering signals after that. 40 was poor until about 2345Z only
10 minutes before my sunset. Then signals stayed good until about 1530Z Sunday.
80 was good the last 45 minutes, but activity was very sparse. Sunday was much
better on 20; signals from the mobiles were quite a bit stronger and they were
busier running stations much better than Saturday.

A big thanks again to Bob, W0B/W0BH for organizing such a successful event and
covering the rare counties so well. And many thanks to all who sponsor the
generous awards. It is pretty amazing that I worked almost as many Q's as in the
FL QP which is much more populous, a testament to all who put KS on the air!
Thanks for all of the QSO's!

73, Jeff