[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N1PRW Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, as@shawsheen.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N1PRW Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 04:02:36 +0000

  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  31     13  Total Score = 403

Club:

Comments:

QRP in Andover, Mass at 130' ASL.
FT-817 with 6m dipole and Elk 2M/440L5 log periodic on a 12V bench supply.

No big skip DX but fun anyway. 144 was working well with apparent tropo helping
to hit all neighboring grids and beyond, unexpected with QRP and lack of
elevation.

Gradual output power drop on 6m was still a problem until I realized it was
related to temperature and the near 50% duty cycle of calling CQ in FT8. I
placed a freezer-pak on the top rear of the FT-817 for the last few hours of the
contest... Problem solved! Looks like freezer paks will be part of my QRP kit
for FT8.

No 432 activity observed and no response to periods of CQ into a decent antenna.
This could have been an easy score multiplier but 432 was a ghost town. I was
surprised considering the lack of DX on 50 and no reason to stay on that band.

OK grid square count for QRP at bad elevation and no DX enhancement, but 1.94
QSO/hr rate.

73 Alexander N1PRW