[3830] ARRL Sep VHF NF2RS/R(@K2QO) Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF NF2RS/R(@K2QO) Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 02:01:44 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  423   108  Total Score = 59,940

Club: Niagara Frontier Radiosport

Comments:

Scoring note: The score includes the multi for the 10 grids from which we
operated as my logging software does not seem to include this in the
"final" score.

What seemed like a slow contest turned into a wild ride. We had a few grids
where we could almost not keep up with the action at times! Saturday was about
average in terms of rate and conditions meaning we weren't really happy, but
Sunday had some moments of tropo enhancement that bagged us some long distance
grids.

Highlight reel:
* We stayed two nights at the W2CCC HQ in FN23. The hospitality is off the
charts. Reservations are a bitch.
* Friday night dinner was at the Ohio Tavern in Cold Brook. FANTASTIC!
* Our FN22 grid including a first time meeting with the property owner of the
hill we've been using for 8 years. His story telling held us up by 45 minutes
but who's going to tell an ex-con that is totally connected that we simply must
leave. K2ZR, that's who! I was instantly worried but it turned out OK.
* We had an actual entourage to greet in FN21. W3GAA was there with some ham
buddies AND the Sheriff of Susquehanna Co, PA no less. Holy Cow!
* We were many hours late getting to our last grid stop in FN02. I'm pretty sure
it hurt our score a bit but the events of the day were so crazy that we simply
could not complain.
* The RM Italy 200W 2M amp is really great. 12W in for about 180W out and it
barely got luke warm.
* The "new" IC-7000 dedicated to 2M was nice as it has a good DVR and
internal key. The menu system is, IMHO, a bit insane, but workable. I like my K3
much better. Oh well.

The Elephant in the Room: FT-8
We are not happy with the level of activity on this mode. So many Qs go by on
the screen that could simply be made on CW or SSB. Seems kinda sad. Click,
snooze, and hey, its in the log! If this becomes more pervasive on VHF I'll be
rethinking my now 18 year long roving career. I really hope that this was not my
last run...

73,
NF2RS/R Team
Mark K2QO and Dick K2ZR