[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 12:35:26 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2019

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31/CT
Operating Time (hrs): 26

    6:  165    46
    2:  221    50
  222:   98    34
  432:  123    36
  903:   36    21
  1.2:   52    27
  2.3:   19    13
  3.4:    9     7
  5.7:    8     7
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  731   241  Total Score = 297,876

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

Nothing very exciting to report. Activity was ok, condx were a little enhanced
Sunday morning but didn't work anything unusual though AA4ZZ was particularly
loud as was W4IY. AA4ZZ was in hr virtually all weekend on 2M which is not
typical. There were quite a few rovers in WNY and VE3 but elsewhere it was
pretty limited.

A significant majority of my contacts were on ssb/cw so they can be made, hi! I
didn't count but would guess about 10% of my 2 meter QSO's were FT 8, only 1 on
msk144, and perhaps 20% of my 6 meter QSO's were FT8 with another 15 or so on
msk144. The biggest challenge I see is that I heard or worked a number of
stations on 6 and/or 2M FT 8 that I usually work up through the microwaves. Many
of them I never heard off of FT8 so that really hurts the 222 and up results. I
tried a number of times to request a qsy on FT8 but only one station got the
message and moved. One result for me is that I missed a number of easy local
grids on 222 and the microwaves. For example I've probably operated about 90 VHF
contests from this location. I believe this is the first time I didn't work FM29
on 222. FN20 was scarce above 6 and 2 though W3ICC/R and WA2LTM came through
with some microwaves late in the contest. FN10, normally easy was not worked on
902. I believe my 3 ghz was working well this time but quite a few stations I
usually work had rig issues on the band this time or just weren't on.

I had a boneheaded result for about 10 minutes on 6M FT8 on Sunday. I had tried
to move a station to 432 using message 6. When that didn't happen I continued
calling CQ but didn't notice that when I went to "Generate Std
messages" it kept the 432 in the message so I was on 6 calling CQ 432!
After about 10 minutes of calling CQ with no answers a kind soul texted me and
let me know what was happening. I did pay more attention to my xmit messages
after that, hi!

Tnx for the Q's and to the rovers for heading out. Hope to see everyone in the
sprints.

Jeff K1TEO