[3830] Makrothen RTTY W9KKN(@NW6P) SO/Multi Xcvr HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@w9kkn.net
Subject: [3830] Makrothen RTTY W9KKN(@NW6P) SO/Multi Xcvr HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 17:19:59 +0000
                    Makrothen RTTY Contest - 2019

Call: W9KKN
Operator(s): W9KKN
Station: NW6P

Class: SO/Multi Xcvr HP
QTH: Cupertino, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 18.3
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

------------
   80:   93
   40:  161
   20:  272
   15:   53
   10:    0
------------
Total:  579  Total Score = 2,900,832

Club: Pizza Lovers 259

Comments:

As always, special thanks to Tom/NW6P for use of his awesome station, which is
playing very well these days!

Having spent not enough time at home lately I asked Tom if I could do this one
100% remotely. It's rare I do contests fully remote... I'll usually start the
contest off in person (spend some time with Tom) and then go home once I've got
a good foundation score.

There were a few issues - for one thing, UPnP was not functioning correctly and
the Flex Smartlink was working inconsistently. A few reboots later (of the
AT&T CPE) did the trick, but not after wasting roughly 2 hours of the first
session and at least another hour of the second.

I really like this contest -- the scoring scheme is very fair for us in
California, and that makes it all the more enjoyable. The only issue is that it
doesn't have enough participation, and probably not enough promotion. It's also
sandwiched between some other big contests (CQP, CQWWSSB) making it back to
back, and taking place the same weekend as the Oceania DX contest makes for a
very quiet run to Asia. But this format -- we (PL259) should consider it for
many other modes (Digi/FT*, CW, Phone) because distance based scoring is where
its at, and big numbers make one feel good despite the rates, which were a bit
slow at times.

I beat last year's score by about 900k, so that's good! Not sure how much more I
could have done, but the 3 megapoint mark would have surely been broken had the
network problems not shown up so there's always next year!

Epic EU run Sunday morning starting 1345z! (At least, as good as it gets these
days)

As always, enjoyed racing people on contestonlinescore.com. Thanks for the Q's
and see you in the next contest!

Vy 73,

Bill/W9KKN/ZF2WF