[3830] MWaveFallSprnt VE3CRU/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cru@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] MWaveFallSprnt VE3CRU/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 17:22:31 +0000
                    Microwave Fall Sprint - 2019

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: FN03/04/13/14
Operating Time (hrs): 5.0

Total:  QSOs = 16  Total Score = 1,728

Club: Rochester VHF Group

Comments:

This Sprint saw a rove unlike any before.  I posted an eta of 9 am before
heading out at 7 to get there early.  Stopped at a Tim Hortons for washroom need
and food.  Got inside washroom, reached for cubicle door and suddenly total
darkness.  Emergency lighting flicked 2 seconds and gone. Looked for a place
with power but Town of Cobourg totally without power.  Hospital at northn
illuminated, so was gas station to the east.  Relief, and filled up wih fuel
much cheaper than others.

Driving north to FN04vb, the 902.1 FM came alive, N2WK was calling into back of
my looper to see if I was on site, at 8:03 so did a qso and worked Wayne 5
minutes later on 1296 and 2304.  Driving into the site on a narrow road,
tree/bush branches on east or drivers side so held to left, got in safely.
Bands were silent so I turned south to FN03vx to work Wayne on the bands,
successful on 902 and 1296, not so on 2304.  Back north  to FN04, did get Mark
N2YB on 3 bands  Contacted Dana in Toronto FN03fq, but he cut in and out briefly
on 902 under now heavy fog, rotator aiming 240.  At 10, decided to change grids.
 Turned car around, driving on narrow road and hear swish swish bump bump thud.
Oh Oh, looked at control box, said 240 not 180.  Big OOPS.  Got out, 2 beams and
6 loopers aimed in all directions, like looking down on an octopus with
tentacles outspread.  Now grounded.  Needed a ladder, turned around and back to
where road went left.  Saw an orange 6' stepladder against the driveshed ahead
and got under 4 inch branch to access it.  Got all antennas facing forward, but
did not take care to properly align.  Got back on the road breathing a sigh of
relief.

At FN13bx, called a lot of cw's, listened too, nothing so drove maybe 3 km to
FN14ba, higher.  Worked both N2WK and  Mark N2YB with difficulty as my aiming
was off.  Never noted errors in aiming, was lucky to do so well.  Back to FN13bx
and worked Wayne N2WB again on all 3 bands.  Nobody else heard.  Drove to a W2SZ
fn03tw rover site to give Wayne the last grid needed for a clean sweep, missed!

So, 11 qso's with N2WK longest 98 km closest 89 km.
and  5 qso's with N2YB longest 145 km closest 136 km.

Many thanks to the sponsor, and to all who operated and gave out points.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R .........control box reads 120 now, all antennas removed.

Future ......? ? ?