[3830] TBDC K5TR Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, geoiii@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K5TR Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 17:45:47 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): W5TN K5TR
Station: K5TR

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: EM00uf
Operating Time (hrs): ~14

Total:  QSOs = 283  Total Score = 1,350

Club:

Comments:

Station: http://www.k5tr.net/
Elecraft K3 radio (tnx k5ot)
Elecraft P3
Alpha 87A
trlinux - http://kkn.net/trlinux

160
- 1/4 wave sloping verticals sloped east and west
- SAL-30 RX array
- NE, NW, SE, SW beverages ~500' long

This operation came together a few days before the contest.  I wanted
to get on and make some contacts in the Stew I mentioned this to
W5TN and he said he was up for operating in the contest.  So we did.
During the day on Saturday I worked on the receive antennas.  The
SE beverage had broken and the SAL 30 had a broken feed line on one
of the loops.  I fixed both of these up and tested things out they
seemed to be working. The other thing I have been wanting to try for
some time was to use diversity on the K3.  I hooked up the SAL30
to the main RX port and the beverages to the AUX as the diversity
antenna.  It worked pretty well.  It was interesting to get real time
comparison of the two antennas.  And it was useful to be able to
listen in more than one direction with the RX antennas.
I got to sleep more than W5TN so he got in a lot more operating time.

I think we will do this again for the ARRL 160 and maybe more.

Conditions seemed to be pretty good and the band was not too noisy.

    Callsign Used : K5TR
        Operators : W5TN, K5TR
         Category : MOHP

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points