[3830] IlQP W9YES Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, david_timm@live.com
Subject: [3830] IlQP W9YES Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 05:33:44 +0000
                    Illinois QSO Party - 2019

Call: W9YES
Operator(s): W9YES KD9LSV
Station: W9YES

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:
   40:     80       23
   20:     39
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
------------------------
Total:    119       23  Mults = 46  Total Score = 12,006

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

This was our first time going mobile. Connor (KD9LSV) and myself decided two
weeks before the contest that we wanted to do this. We learned a lot in those
two weeks trying to prepare to go mobile. I didn't want to permanently install
my HF rig in my van, or permanently attach an antenna. I got a 40m hamstick and
mag-mount, and then Jim, N9JF, loaned me a 20m hamstick. Special thanks to Jim
for that.

We had planned out a route we wanted to follow, but then ended up not sticking
to it. We spent more time in some of the Northern counties (even the ones we did
not plan to go into: Rock Island, Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Winnebago, &
Boone) than I would have liked, but for the northern-central counties we did not
get to, we did manage to get a northern one to make up for it.

We mostly tried to avoid interstates, but around seven hours into the contest, I
was driving on I39 while Connor was operating CW, and I get alerted to the fact
that the mag-mount is no longer on the roof and was dangling by the coax. Both
the 40m hamstick and the mag-mount were fine, and when stuck back on the roof,
we could still make contacts using the antenna. That wasn't the first time the
40m hamstick had to came off during the contest. As we driving out of Jo Daviess
county, we encountered a bridge only had 10 feet of clearance and took it down
to drive under it.

We had fun operating during the contest, and we definitely learned how we could
do this better in the future with less stress. (A big thing is not to wait until
2 weeks before the start of the contest to decide to go mobile for the first
time.)

Comment from KD9LSV:
Thanks to all who had patience with me operating. I have been operating CW for
around 9 months. I hope to improve CW and become aware of the code. Thanks for
pushing my skills to the limit.

Hope to see you in many other contests.