[3830] IlQP WT2P/9(@WB9Z) Fixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wt2p@wt2p.com
Subject: [3830] IlQP WT2P/9(@WB9Z) Fixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 03:28:00 +0000
                    Illinois QSO Party - 2019

Call: WT2P/9
Operator(s): WT2P
Station: WB9Z

Class: Fixed HP
QTH: IL - Iroquois
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:    160       31
   40:    167      275
   20:     58      184
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
------------------------
Total:    385      490  Mults = 121  Total Score = 152,460

Club: Metro DX Club

Comments:

Firstly, thanks to Val (NV9L) and Jerry (WB9Z) for letting me operate this one
from their station. It was like being handed the keys to a Ferrari and being let
loose.

Arrived Saturday night, setup the computer and got things all going and had some
bevvys while working DX (also using the RX beverages).

Woke up around an hour before the test and got ready to go. I wasn't sure which
band I wanted to start out on, but decided on 40 CW, then later in the hour
switched to 40 SSB. First hour was 110 and I thought that'd probably be the best
action I'd see for the rest of the day. I was WRONG!

1800Z starts and my rate is dismal on 40 SSB/CW, so I decide to check out 20. I
start on CW and working a few folks, but after I saw the rate dropping I wanted
to try an experiment of bouncing between modes. I switched to 20 SSB and between
CW and SSB in that hour, I hit 150/hr. That was my strategy now for the
remainder of the contest. I would CQ and when the rate would dry up, I'd switch
things up - switch to a different mode or see what was going on on the other
bands.

It was fun watching folks on the online scoreboard. It definitely kept me in the
chair.

Rate Summary:
1700Z - 110
1800Z - 150
1900Z - 96 (smoke break)
2000Z - 113
2100Z - 83 (That was me wasting a bit too much time on the wrong band and
modes)
2200Z - 96 (Smoke/Potty break)
2300Z - 141
0000Z - 86 (mostly spent on 80 CW/SSB)

I normally would've had something on 80 earlier, but this was a SO1R operation.
BIG thanks to the mobiles, I worked a few of you as you were in various
counties, but could not hear a lot of in-state stuff until later in the contest.
Worked Kevin, K0KEV who is one of our MoQP guys and that was great to see. Lots
of out of state support for our QP! Also thanks to N9JF and AD4EB as well.

Shocker was working OM2VL on 80CW at 2129Z. It was still broad daylight out!

I'm normally a CW guy, but in this contest I went where the rate was. I had some
decent runs on CW but also had some great runs on SSB.

Thanks again to Val & Jerry for their hospitality, laughs and a great time.

73,
WT2P