[3830] CQWW SSB VP6R M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VP6R M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 15:26:14 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: VP6R
Operator(s): W8HC EY8MM K9NW W0VTT JR4OZR K0PC SM5AQD EA3HSO N6HC W0GJ W6IZT
K9CT
Station: VP6R

Class: M/M HP
QTH: PItcairn Island
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   41    12       14
   80:  754    29       62
   40: 1018    33       86
   20: 2727    31      113
   15: 2538    31       98
   10: 1050    19       46
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

That was fun! Yes, conditions were not the best and we suffered for other
reasons but we made the best of it. Weather socked us in with torrential rains
and gale force winds....antennas were broken but fixable. We have two
sites...one for 20, 15 and 10 and another a good walk away on a muddy hilly
trail to our 40, 80 and 160 site. We had them linked with a point to point
ethernet link, which failed just prior to the contest. It was used to tie N1MM
Logger together and thus time and spots. We had to change our strategy of
running and chasing multipliers when we had no way to do that. We only ran and
then found multipliers between runs on the same station. The remote site lost
clock and Win10 took a fancy of making time anything it wanted to be and adjust
the computers by several hours at the beginning of the contest. Fortunately, we
could figure out the discrepancy and corrected about 40 contacts. The clocks
were tied together at that site and then we were good to go.

We created band teams and then scheduled around that. That worked well and we
kept the stations busy when each band was open. We had several days of
propagation experience plus a week of handling pileups to prepare the team.

160m was tough. The storm in the area was full of lightning and huge QRN on the
bands made it almost impossible. However on the other end of the spectrum was 10
meters. Almost a perfect pipeline to US and JA!

The was an extreme field day setup...all generator power. The generators were
not the best and we have trouble with them dropping out whenever they wanted.
Trouble starting them often kept us waiting in darkness. Ghosts of the mutineers
were soon peering over our shoulders. Feral cats were jumping on the keyboard.

The setup consisted of 3 element K5GO antennas mounted on DX Engineering tilt up
masts. We used DXE 40, 80 and 160 meters provided antennas. They rocked!

FlexRadios 6700 plus Maestro interface were at each station. N1MM Logger with a
special check log for contest operations. Thanks to FlexRadio for their support.

We celebrated the contest with a pizza party. Andy Christian our host has a
pizza oven and has the island "Andy's Pizzeria". We had the best pizza
for thousands of miles around! We also had Tui beer from New Zealand to wash it
down.

Every operator had a great time. Some of the cw preferential ops really got into
the flow and enjoyed the experience. We talked about where we should go next
year! Now back to the DXpedition......