[3830] CQWW SSB EI0R M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, turnbull@net1.ie
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB EI0R M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 16:11:48 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: EI0R
Operator(s): EI2KM EI2KC EI3KE EI6FR EI5KO EI6IL EI2JD EI2CN
Station: EI0R

Class: M/S HP
QTH: iRELAND
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  306    12       64
   80:  468    16       66
   40:  434    19       89
   20:  612    30      104
   15:  291    27       96
   10:  107     6       27
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

We were plagued with problems which cost us least four hours of our operating
time and the nature of which depressed our score.     For perhaps 16 hours our
audio was raspy but this was not discovered until later.   We then tried all
settings for audio with no joy so the K3 was swapped for another K3.   This
takes time when using a microKeyer II as there is a rats nest behind the K3.
Thankfully everything is labelled.  At 3AM on Saturday night it was discovered
that there was no TX power out and that the receiver would not function with the
main antenna but did work with the receive antenna.    The fault was a faulty
coax jumper between K3 and KPA1500.    When moving this cable when moving this
cable the signal would come in and out rapidly.    Replaced the cable and all
was well.   Suspect this was also the problem for the audio difficulty earlier.

The Solar Flare really put a damper on things for the first night and much of
the following day.   However we found early on that 15M was doing a reasonable
job to the south.   On Sunday ten blessed us with good propagation for a number
of hours and we were in heaven.

Eight is a large number of operators.   This provided everyone with a ration of
sleep and some of us even had a full nights sleep, a true blessing made possible
by multiple operators.   Not all operators were here 24 hours.   We did eat well
and those who were not operating had a chance for plenty of good chat and
laughter.    It was fun.

Thanks to the team, contest organizers and all those who worked us.   Now for
the CW leg and hopefully better numbers.

We do not have a second station for search and pounce so do this with the one
transceiver.

Equipment:

K3 and P3
KPA 1500
microKeyer II
WinTest
4 el SteppIR Yagi with trombone
inverted L for TB 30 M vertical with 125 plus radial plane
inverted vee for 80M at about 22M

Most importantly Hi-Z antennas.   If you can not hear them, you can not work
them.:
8 circle for 160, 80 and 40    two interlaced 4 squares
a true 8 circle for 160M with approximately 60M diamter - this is a performer.

      73 Doug EI2CN and the EIOR team.

PS This report comes from the "go for" of the group.