[3830] CQWW SSB P40W(W2GD) SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w2gd@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P40W(W2GD) SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 14:06:33 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: P40W
Operator(s): W2GD
Station: P40W

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 41

  160:   56     8       23
   80:  211    15       54
   40:  797    24       90
   20: 1080    26      102
   15: 1045    23       98
   10:  168    18       34
------------------------------

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Station:
K3 @ 100W, Win-Test Software on Laptop
160m Vertical Dipole and Inverted V,
80m Inverted V and 3el wire beam EU
40m F12 Delta 240 and 4 ele wire beam EU
20/15/10 - F12 C31XR @ F12 C3 @ 60ft
Beverages NE, NW, E/W, N/S

Conditions were much better than many expected at this latitude but the
lingering effects of a solar event played havoc all weekend.  The big
surprise came in the form of 15 meter conditions which at times sounded rather
'normal' toward EU from this location.  Even ten meters had some limited periods
of spice, including 40 minutes of run time to the USA before the door slammed
shut.  The southern EU spotlight QSOs were unpredictable and made me smile.

Upon arrival on Tuesday found there were many problems since my last visit for
WPX CW in May. One rotator had literally come apart, half of a 20m reflector
element was on the ground, a 160 meter wire on the ground ...  nothing that
hasn't happened before.  Like Christmas, you make a list and check it twice.
Rotor issues continued right up to the bell.

Unlike most of those reporting, my score was an increase of over 25% compared to
CQWW PH 2018.  Much of the improvement is due to six more hours on the air but
even more important not being plagued physically by the effects of Sahara dust.
I spent much more time running and less time chasing cluster spots, adjusting to
the 'popularity' of being louder than the rest of the world at times - an
advantage of a southern location.

The impact of the solar event has been well documented in so many 3830 reports.
Never hear large parts of the world.

I suffer with a persistent line noise problem toward USA/JA that flared up with
greater amplitude on Saturday and through the end of he contest.  If I acted a
little like an alligator please think kind thoughts.

Conditions on the second night on 80M and 160M were particularly dismal toward
EU ... but sunrise runs to the US on 40 and 80 alleviated some of that pain.
Even with the wire beams which produce fairly reliable gain toward EU it was
very difficult to make QSOs much of the time.

Late afternoon runs into USA/VE on 15 and 20 were generally the highlight
of the contest.   Those who didn't quit after the first 12 hours this weekend
experienced something unique.  Never say die.

Will return to Aruba again in three weeks for CQWW CW.

73,

John, W2GD