[3830] CQWW SSB IR4M M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB IR4M M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 11:11:33 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: IR4M
Operator(s): I4EWH I4IFL IK3QAR IK4DCW IK4HVR IK4MGP IK4WMH IU4FNO IW3FVZ
IZ4JUK IZ4NIC IZ4ZZB
Station: IR4M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: MonteCodruzzo
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   65    13       65
   80:  472    23      105
   40: 1915    34      145
   20: 2321    36      150
   15: 1230    36      146
   10:  154    18       84
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

As usual the CQWW DX SSB required a big effort in terms of work and commitment,
but everything was just fine and ready!
Unfortunately, a few hours before the contest start, when most operators were
already at IR4M, we noticed S7 noise on 20m pointing antennas to NA!
Even on 10 and 15m there was S5 noise from the same direction... contest is
ruined

Extensive frantic tests showed that turning antennas away from NA the noise
decreased, and discovered that interference was coming from a 15kV power line
nearby.

At this point we really couldn't do anything about that, just hoping the problem
would magically disappear by 00z.
Guess what? that's wasn't the case...

Despite that, we decided to start the contest anyway, as 40m and lower bands
were only marginally affected.

The next morning, when we moved to the higher bands, noise was still there and
when propagation started to open to NA, the "again?" hell began.
Only stronger signals could be heard and ask for repeat have been countless.
We're sorry for all those who called us and received a CQ in face, but
conditions were absolutely awful.

After the contest we immediately got in touch with the electricity utility
company which showed willing to solve the problem, hopefully by the end of the
month for the CW leg.

Back to the contest, despite all this mess, we were in pretty good mood and we
had fun anyway. Meet at Montecodruzzo is always a celebration!

Propagation was heavily affected by a solar storm, and the first night signals
on 40m were unusually low, even those from the big guns.
Couldn't hear any US west coast and QSOs with Canada limited to VE3. In general,
any polar-path signal was dramatically affected.

10m better than expected, with a few quick opening to Caribbean and south-east
Asia. No NA or JA at all.

This time there was a good participation of the top EU competitors in the
cqcontest, making the fun even greater!
Those who keep hiding are always less...

Congrats to LX7I for the outstanding recovery, and to LZ5R for the result. As
usual our friends at OM7M will do better in CW

Thanks for 6 band QSOs to 4U1A 9H6A A73A C37NL CN3A D4C EF8R ES9C GJ2A LZ9W PJ4K
V26B.

Special thank to I4EHW and IK4HVR for the superb logistics and kitchen work!

Hoping that the noise problem will be solved, CU in CW leg!