[3830] SS CW N6RO SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kenkeeler@jazznut.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW N6RO SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 05:40:05 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N6RO
Operator(s): N6RO NA6O WD6T
Station: N6RO

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:54
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

------------
  160:    0
   80:  147
   40:  455
   20:   17
   15:  119
   10:    0
------------

Club: Mother Lode DX/Contest Club

Comments:

This was my 66th CW SS.  My first SS QSO in 1953 was with W4KFC, in the novice
80m band. I missed 1962, while in USAF OTS/pilot training, no station and too
busy. I peaked out score-wise in the early 2000 decade, winning a few national U
category efforts.

For a few recent years, I've included a talented friend in the M category,
NA6O; this year we added WD6T (formerly K6DAJ), an up-and-coming serious
contester.  Gary led off, on-site, I took over at 0530Z, operating in SO2R
spurts until 14Z.  We had a mis-communication about who was to operate and had
no Qs in the usually productive 14Z hour.  Dave took over by remote at 15Z and
finished out the day. He learned alot about off-time planning!

Here's some comments from the team:

NA6O: Tested 10m before the contests with a few CQs but RBN showed zippo, and
never saw a blip on the waterfall either. 15 kicked right off with a good rate
but I probably stayed there a bit too long. 20 was a continuous rate-fest, and
40 picked up well before sunset. After my 7.5 hours, we already had 600 Qs and
81 mults which was very satisfying.

WDT6: Played clean-up crew, operating remotely, jumping in before 7 AM and going
until the end, with a few breaks when it got slow in afternoon and/or dog
bio-break.  Some of those "Q" precedence guys were S9 at RO.  Nice
change from the "Bs" that were S0 at WD6T.  Pushed at the end to try
and beat last year's Q total, but missed it by one Q!  Thanks to Gary and Ken
for including me on this one. (edited)

The Flex station performed well but: there was an interruption (fortunately
during the slowest part of the night); Lost antenna connections to the
6600m/PGXL; rebooted the radio, N1MM,all Flex apps, to no avail. I then rebooted
Windoze, and voila, all was well for the rest of the test.

During the contest, I found more damage from the fierce winds last weekend; both
2L 80m quads were out of commission, so we lost the high angle prop for local
signals, typically a 20 dB advantage over the vertical 4SQ array at this time of
year. Sri, we missed a few NCCC guys.

So, lessons learned, looking fwd to next year.  Tnx for the Qs! N6RO