[3830] SS CW K4HQK Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K4HQK Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 20:35:47 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 13:15

------------
  160:
   80:  117
   40:  112
   20:   86
   15:    6
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

With a modest station I had no expectations of running up a huge score so my
strategy was just go for the sections, which was fun and netted 76 of the 83.
That led to a puny hourly rate, of course, but so be it. During the last few
hours I worked anyone still breathing.

With reasonably-good band conditions (given the bottom of the sunspot barrel),
low noise levels, and plenty of U.S. activity, this SS CW was quite enjoyable
for me. Saturday afternoon I opened on 15m and discovered some workable activity
in outlying sections: KH7X, KH6TU,  NP4Z, and NP2X. I then dropped down to 20m
for a few hours, switched to 40m after sunset, and when 40m went long, jumped
into the 80m fray. All were plenty busy. Ditto on Sunday, but I never heard 15m
open again.

I was puzzled, however, by hearing only a few Canadians. There was a VE4 in AB
working S&P but of course I couldn't call him.  I did get a pleasant
surprise when a 20m pileup Sunday afternoon revealed VY1AAA (NT) lurking
underneath.

I never even heard EWA, MAR, MB, NE, NL, or WY. Maybe next time.

73, John K4HQK - Alexandria, Virginia

Station: IC-7410, Ameritron ALS-600 amp (600w), dipoles, Cushcraft R6000
vertical