[3830] SS CW AE0EE Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW AE0EE Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 22:14:38 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2019

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE K6JEB
Station: AE0EE

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: SD
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  109
   40:  195
   20:  266
   15:    1
   10:
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipoles up about 20'.

[Summary by Bill, AE0EE]
Short version: SWEEP!  My first ever while operating in Sweepstakes---it helps
to run assisted.  Conditions seemed pretty unstable, with lots of fading and
difficulty clearing/holding a run frequency.

Long version:
Six years ago, in 2013, I was nearing the end of my first year of being a
licensed ham.  I was involved with the UC Berkeley Amateur Radio Club (W6BB),
and had spent my spare time in the summer learning code.  I could make a few
contacts on a straight key going slowly, but was not contest-ready.

My elmer Jack (K6JEB) was part of the Berkeley ARC, and was also active in the
Northern California Contest Club (NCCC).  We had a good time with the California
QSO Party from W6BB, and decided to try Sweepstakes CW.  Jack brought his
rig---more contest-friendly than the one the club had---and amp, and we managed
to get some antennas rigged up.  Together we (well, Jack), put up a solid score
and got a clean sweep (https://3830scores.com/showrumor.php?arg=EjaPzEfcmsvvn).
Although I never touched the iambic paddles or the F-keys, I listened along to
the whole contest and my code proficiency went up very quickly.  It really
helped get me into contesting.

A few weeks ago, Jack called me and asked if I would be interested in a multi-op
effort for Sweepstakes CW from South Dakota.  Obviously the answer to that
question was yes.  This year, it was a little different, though: my code
proficiency has come a long way thanks to general practice, numerous contests
(HF and VHF+), and a few DXpeditions.  Like in 2013, I didn't press the F-keys.
Unlike in 2013, I had considerable operating time, which I spent with my hand on
a Vibroplex bug set to around 25-28 wpm.

Travel schedules made it a whirlwind weekend.  Jack's flight didn't arrive in
Minneapolis until late Friday night---about 11:45 PM---and he had to be back at
the airport before noon on Monday.  With a roughly 3.5-hour drive each way in
good conditions, there was little time to spare.  On the drive out, there was a
little mixed rain/snow in a few places.  Fortunately the ground was warm and the
snow didn't stick and the road didn't get icy.  We made it to the shack around
4:00 AM Saturday.

With two of us the antenna setup went quickly, and we made sure to use slipped
knots on the wire antennas.  The antennas would need to come down in the dark
(after contest end Sunday or before leaving for the airport at 7 AM Monday), and
weather at this time of year can be unpleasant, so everything we could do to
make tear-down fast was important.

When the antennas were up, we started to find a good frequency in the last
half-hour before contest start.  I found a nice spot, called CQ, and worked a
few stations in my general South Dakota log.  As the hour rolled over, I
switched logs and kicked into high gear, only to notice that there was still
another hour until the contest started.  I guess I should have read the rules
more carefully!

We managed to run for the first 2.5 hours, but the rates weren't great and we
were definitely being squeezed off the frequency from either side.  It seemed
like there were a lot of stations trying to call CQ, and relatively few
answering those calls.  The multipliers kept coming in, either in our run or, as
we were squeezed off, from search-and-pounce or click-and-pounce.  I usually run
unassisted, so it was a learning experience to try the click-and-pounce methods
for contesting.

By Sunday morning, we were only missing a few multipliers: QC, AB, AK, NE, ME,
and ND.  Of all the multipliers to be missing, those seemed like ones we were
likely to be able to find and work (it was nice of DE to have such a strong
showing this year!).  Although we weren't able to sustain runs very well, many
of those needed multipliers managed to find us.  AK was the last into the log,
completing the sweep just after noon local (1808z).

Having operated a bit later than expected Saturday night, we resumed Sunday
morning having only taken 5.5 hours of off time.  We decided that given
conditions, the last half-hour of the contest was likely to be low-rate for us,
so we would simply end early.  Rates Sunday morning were indeed much higher than
in our last hour, so that seems like it worked out for us.

After we finished at 8:30 PM, we tore down and had all the antennas packed in
the car within an hour.  A little mixed precipitation and some wind made us
thankful for setting things up to tear down quickly.

Happily, we emerged from the cabin Monday morning to find that there wasn't any
ice or snow on the ground, and had good weather for the drive back to the
airport.

It was a fun contest, if sometimes frustrating with the one-way propagation.  We
worked a lot of friends---particularly those in the MWA and NCCC.  There were no
major issues, and nothing particularly obvious that needs to be fixed or changed
for the next time.  Will there be more sunspots next year?  We'll see!

I'm not yet sure where I'll be on the air from for Sweepstakes SSB, so be sure
to listen for that section!