[3830] SS SSB W6YX School Club HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W6YX School Club HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 06:14:34 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): AJ6IV WD6T N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: School Club HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   96
   40:  693
   20:  702
   15:   57
   10:
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

David, WD6T, and I introduced Stephen, AJ6IV, an Applied Physics grad student to
HF and contesting with SS Phone. We all had a great time and the only equipment
failure was our Beverage for the eastern US which got fixed on Saturday evening
and then failed again with a couple of hours left on Sunday.

Stephen did a great job operating. He was surprised to hear us using Q-signals
on phone. By the end he was regularly using QRZ and even occasionally QSL
instead of his initial "got it".

Stephen started his contest weekend on Friday evening, helping out in the EME
contest, then joined us Saturday and Sunday for SS Phone. Up to this past
weekend his ham radio operating experience had been with Handy-Talkies,
repeaters, and a brief taste of SSB during a satellite demo.

It was great hearing the other college club stations on. Those we worked in the
S class were W1YK, W4AQL, W4UAL, K5LSU, W6BB, W8EDU, K9IU, W9JWC, K0HC, and
W0EEE.

Thanks for all the Qs. We hope to get Stephen and some of the other students in
the club active in more HF contests.

73,
-Mike, N7MH