[3830] CQWW CW VE7DZO SOAB Rookie HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE7DZO SOAB Rookie HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 01:07:15 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VE7DZO
Operator(s): VE7DZO
Station: VE7DZO

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Rookie
QTH: Prince George, BC
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:  185    11       10
   80:  300    11       13
   40:  456    19       38
   20:  799    16       28
   15:   17     6        6
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1757    63       95  Total Score = 572,118

Club: Deep Dixie Contest Club

Comments:

Very disappointing score..

Everything was going fantastic and I was well on my way to surpass 1.5mil points
until 2200z Saturday when got hit by a blizzard. There was severe ice buildup on
all antennas. Not thinking much of it I kept operating and noticed a growing
SWR. Within 15 minutes SWR on all antennas were over 3:1. Desperately I tried
shaking the tower and knocking ice off the wires but nothing helped. All I could
do is wait, checking the SWR every 15min for improvement and going out to remove
ice every hour. A long 8 hours later the 80m antenna was finally usable, very
disappointed I kept going and still gave my all. 8 hours of prime mult time was
lost, I had missed the only 40m EU opening and the 20m opening to JA.

Despite my unfortunate luck with weather, I kept going and as expected I
finished with almost no mults and a disappointing score.

Anyways, it was fun and as always I learned a bunch. The new 160m antenna played
very well and 80m was rocking, those are some of the few positives.

Thanks for all the Qs, CU next  year!

David VE7DZO

Station:
Yaesu FT-1000MP MrkV