[3830] CQWW CW VE3VN SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3vn.fn25@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE3VN SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 03:06:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: 4
Operating Time (hrs): 42
Radios: SO2R

  160:  456    17       68
   80:  799    21       76
   40:  221    15       54
   20: 1183    29       94
   15:  161    21       66
   10:   28     8       14
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

We new a new set of entry categories. Instead of single band these new ones
allow you to exclude one band. Had these existed I would have opted to exclude
40 meters. Late Friday my XM240 went to antenna purgatory. It was almost but not
quite dead. There's an intermittent connection, probably in the balun, that I
missed when I had it on the ground two months ago.

With so much antenna and tower work recently I delayed this maintenance item
since it was working fine the last several weeks. Sometimes the amp power would,
um, bridge the gap and I could make a few Q's. Not transmitting for 60 seconds
and the problem would return. It was a brutish battle between the 3-500's and
balun. Sadly I took down my high inverted vee and haven't yet put up my second
40m antenna so there was no backup option.

Due to the early winter most of my antennas are lying on the ground. With only a
few antennas my SO2R ambitions died when 40 vanished. Besides which I have only
one amp at present. At least the 80 and 160 antennas did well. Great conditions
on the low bands Saturday night!

Next year's contest should see me with an improved station.