[3830] CQWW CW VY1AAA(VE3KI) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3ki@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VY1AAA(VE3KI) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 03:55:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VY1AAA
Operator(s): VE3KI
Station: VY1JA

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: YT
Operating Time (hrs): 25:30
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:  157    13       12
   40:  239    19       32
   20:  537    16       36
   15:    1     1        1
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Well, that was different.
Originally we had expected the phone Sweepstakes to be the last contest for the
VY1AAA remote station, but as it turned out the station was still in action for
this weekend. Gerry W1VE had other commitments, and asked me to take the station
for CQ WW CW.
Friday evening was brutal with aurora and one-way propagation; three and a
quarter hours in I had made a grand total of 37 QSOs, and when I called CQ on
both 40 and 80 for a few minutes each without a single RBN spot, I decided to
pack it in for the night. Conditions were better in the morning, and gradually
improved over the weekend, but even at the end there was auroral flutter on the
few European stations I was hearing. That was on 40m; believe it or not, I never
heard a single European station on 20 meters during the entire contest.
Everything on 20 was from the Americas and the Pacific.
Sunday afternoon I got a great run going on 20m for 254 Qs in 1 hour and 40
minutes. All but four of those QSOs were with US stations; the only DX callers
were from KH6, KP2, V3 and VP9. Not a typical CQ WW DX contest experience, to
say the least!
Thanks to J Allen VY1JA, our host and station constructor for these past few
years. It's been a great run. The station worked beautifully; it was the
propagation that didn't cooperate this time around. Thanks also to Gerry
W1VE/VE1RM, chief organizer and VY1AAA team leader. What's next?