[3830] CQWW CW N4XD SOSB160 Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4XD SOSB160 Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 11:24:24 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: SOSB160 HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  291    20       78
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Smithchart ARS

Comments:

First, thanks to all that worked to dig me out of the noise.

Neither evening seemed very good but Friday night/ Sat morning was much better
than the next night where even the big European stations were just OK in
strength. It was a struggle to run even the little I did on the first evening.

Fortunately, at least on the first evening, the band was pretty quiet which
wasn't the case the second evening.

I had made some improvements on the station which helped a lot. I use a Comtek
phasing box to phase my two towers. I've never felt everything was working
correctly so this fall I decided to check things over. Indeed found two bad
solder joints. They looked OK but were cold joints making intermittent contact
with the relays in the box. An easy fix.

That plus the installation of another BOG (this one to the NE) and a new
matching transformer for the W bog all helped with reception. All this combined
to the station working much better.

Even with the bands being what I thought were poor, on Saturday morning I did
work 3 JA stations. Traditionally I've struggled in that direction so it was
nice to see that improvement. Sunday only heard one JA weakly at my SR. Never
did get the full call. Other than that, the only DX I heard Sunday morning was a
lonely KL7RA who had a steady, if not strong, signal here.

Over all I enjoyed the contest if for no other reason than to verify the station
is working well.

Equipment
K3
Alpha 91b
phased towers for xmit
several beverages, bogs and a Hi-Z 4 square
N1MM+  A note about N1MM+. It appears stateside contacts are counted in the QSO
total even though only the zone counts toward the score. So my Q count is
deceiving.