[3830] CQWW CW N5AW SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5aw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N5AW SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 16:00:46 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TX (EM00)
Operating Time (hrs): 40
Radios: SO2R

  160:   74    16       38
   80:  217    24       77
   40:  481    34      110
   20: 1238    35      128
   15:  202    28       79
   10:   47    11       21
------------------------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This one was fun despite some antenna and noise issues. Conditions much better
than for the phone weekend. Topped my score from last year by a little over 20
percent.

Nice opening on 15 to Europe on Saturday. Not so good on Sunday but Indian Ocean
stations were booming in. Ten also had some life on Saturday (only a few PY and
LU signals Sunday). Low bands were good too although I'm still dealing with a
noise problem on them, worst to the northeast (Europe). When you can easily work
nearly everything you hear on 80 and 160 you know you aren't hearing really
well.

Always some nice surprises. Best ones were working a lonely 9M8YY long path on
15 Saturday morning and being called by VK9CZ on 20 during the last hour of the
contest for a double multiplier.

Thought I spent too much time on 15 Saturday and not enough on 20 but turned out
to be a good choice as 20 was great Sunday morning with rates over 100 per hour
(good for me) and a very restricted European opening on 15.

Missed the JA opening on 15 that AD5A mentioned but worked a lot of them on 20
and 40 (unlike in the phone contest). Could have worked more on 40 but this 78
year old needs some sleep.

A wire broke on my home brew 40 meter Moxon a few days before the contest. Made
an attempt at repair but decided I needed to better prepare to do it safely.
Modeling showed the resonant frequency shifted upward about 300 kHz, directivity
reversed and F/B only about 5 dB. With a tuner it was still usable with some
gain. It actually worked pretty well.

Frustrating to have so many US stations call, particularly in the middle of a
pileup of weaker DX stations, but I felt a little better after getting an email
from a newbie thanking me for his first CW contact.

Still have somewhat of a low power complex after 60 years in that category but
I'm learning. Could always do better but overall feel pretty good about my
effort.

Marv N5AW

                               2019 CQ-WW-CW N5AW
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     1     1    34    85    11     1   133
   Canada calls =    20    31    40    91    12     1   195
       NA calls =    20    20    28    34    29     5   136
       SA calls =     7    18    30    50    56    34   195
     Euro calls =    12   117   157   658    50     0   994
  African calls =     5     9    16    20    20     1    71
    Asian calls =     1     3    21    30     0     0    55
    Japan calls =     6    11   140   255     4     0   416
    Ocean calls =     2     8    19    31    21     5    86

    Total calls =    74   218   485  1255   203    47  2282
            (Totals include dupes)