[3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 16:16:00 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:   68    15       39
   80:  153    20       67
   40:  241    22       85
   20:  584    28      104
   15:   89    21       57
   10:   21    11       15
------------------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points Countries     Zones
 160CW        68           68      159        39        15
  80CW       154          153      408        67        20
  40CW       241          241      676        85        22
  20CW       586          584     1686       104        28
  15CW        89           89      236        57        21
  10CW        21           21       52        15        11

 Totals      1159         1156     3217       367       117

    Final Score = 1557028 points.

                               2019 CQ-WW-CW N4TZ
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     2     3     2     4     2     2    15
   Canada calls =    25    25    23    28     2     0   103
       NA calls =    14    17    18    27    23     5   104
       SA calls =     5    10     9    25    26    11    86
     Euro calls =    18    84   165   460    18     0   745
  African calls =     3     8    16    18    11     2    58
    Asian calls =     0     1     5     4     1     0    11
    Japan calls =     0     2     0    15     0     0    17
    Ocean calls =     1     4     3     5     4     1    18

  Unknown calls =     0     0     0     0     2     0     2

    Total calls =    68   154   241   586    89    21  1159

Unknowns on  15 = 4U25B TO1A

Some of us never learn to leave well-enough alone.

I tested all the gear in my shack Friday and everything worked FB.
But, I had noticed during early morning testing during the week that
there was a noticeable amount of bleed-through from the main TX
antenna to the RX antenna input on both the ICOM 7610 and Yaesu
FTdx5000. In fact, the levels were essentially the same from the full
size TX antenna and the YCCC receive array - the bleed-through
in the rig's internal TR relay isn't good enough. So, I needed to
increase the levels from the YCCC array. So, Thursday afternoon
I ordered a preamp from DXEngineering.  It got here Friday at
3pm. I installed it in the Yaesu position (better RX) and had
dinner. After dinner, I noticed that the SWR was really high on
that rig.  Spent the minutes up to the beginning of the contest
trying to figure out what happened. Started the contest with one
radio, while trouble shooting in my mind (and getting up many
times from the chair to inspect things). I especially inspected every
connector in the  vicinity of the new preamp. Found a pair of
connectors (DB25 type) that seemed a little loose - reseated them
and now had NO radios working. Have spent the past hour plus
trying to get even one radio going. No luck. Looked like I would
end the contest with exactly 73 QSOs.

I know that I should never have added the preamp at the last
minute, but it seemed so simple. I still don't know what I disturbed.
I believe that my last-minute-before-the-contest check of the
tower antenna cabinet because of the high SWR problem
disturbed something unrelated to my in-shack problem related
to the loose DB25 connectors which connect the band decoders.

About 0400 I discovered I could use the tribanders on the second
tower. This tower is relatively new and thus the antenna switching
is not part of the basic SO2R package.

I made a few QSOs on 20 and went to bed thinking about how
to enable some more antennas after daylight broke.

All of my antenna switching is done in a cabinet at the base of
my main tower, about 300 feet from my shack. The cabinet looks
like a rat's nest of wiring. In fact, many times over the past
twenty years I have removed nests of baby mice from the cabinet.
In those years, most of the hundreds of screws on the terminal
strips have corroded from mice urine and baby mice have used many
of the connecting wires for teething strips.  Somewhere in that
mess undoubtedly lies the immediate cause of my problem.

This is a job requiring days of warm weather, which is not in
the forecast. So, I elected to perform a radical emergency
procedure: <quadrupal bypass surgery>.  Since I could not run
any new reliable control cables, I needed to use the existing
coax switches at the base of the tower to re-route some
essential coaxes. Unfortunately, many of the necessary connections
are inside the cabinet, while the repurposed coax relays were
outside the cabinet. I used every spare jumper cable I could
lay my hands on to run between the existing connections inside
the cabinet out to the relays and back to the mating connections
inside the cabinet.  Amazingly, I got it right the first time.
I ended up with at least one antenna for each band. The ICOM
7610 ended up with the fixed direction tribanders and the 80 meter
4 square. The Yaesu FT5000 ended up with the 40 and 160 meter
antennas and the 20 meter yagis. The 10 and 15 meter monobanders
were unable to be connected, and the extra firepower was missed
on those bands. But, I was on the air!

It was a shame to miss what I understand were outstanding low
band conditions the first night and Saturday mornings early
opening. It's probably like deciding to run the last 24 hours
in Sweepstakes - you can have a lot of fun but can never make
up for those who just got on at the beginning.

I think I will leave things this way until summertime, and then
rebuild the entire switching infrastructure. But, I am still
on the air, and looking forward to the next contest. What more
can you ask after a <quadrupal bypass>?