[3830] CQWW CW NN7CW SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, NN7CW@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NN7CW SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 00:24:15 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: NN7CW
Operator(s): NN7CW
Station: NN7CW

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): 44:28
Radios: SO2R

  160:   59    13       28
   80:  433    20       73
   40:  894    25       97
   20: 1191    29       98
   15:  313    22       70
   10:   38    10       14
------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

This was the first live event after a number of station improvements I finished
only one week ago. I had planned to see how long I could stay on air without any
significant break, so I targeted 48 hours, which would have meant being awake
for 59 hours straight. All worked out pretty well until Saturday night when my
brain ran out of juice. I tried to soldier on, but was eventually forced to take
a three-hour nap early Sunday morning, which made me miss the grayline arrival.
However, since I hadn't set my alarm, the experiment showed that a
three-hour-break was what I needed to come back online. I think I'll go back to
my usual 2x three hour break routine next time.
Despite no prior testing, the station worked without any issues, except for some
RFI in my audio control box when I pointed the beam toward the house. Some
toroids mitigated the symptoms and I was back on the air.
I think condx were in the same ballpark as last year. Wishful thinking made me
linger too long on 15 Sunday night, but other than that, I followed my normal
procedures. Since I didn't take a break the first night, I had more time to run
on 80, which was improved by my new K9AY loop. I find it to be a great add-on,
especially for the small footprint is has.
Cons: I surely was annoyed a few times by people who were trying to take my QRG
after sending a mere question mark (case 1) and "QRL?" (case 2),
directly followed by their CQ. What's the purpose of that exercise?! ...
However, the greatest nuisance, and reason why CQWW will never be my favorite
contest, were the usual masses of W callers on 20 and 40 who are in the game to
accumulate domestic zero-point-QSOs. I wonder if they also like cruising around
on the golf course while everyone else is trying to play..?
All in all, I am happy with the result and attribute the higher score to the new
antennas. I now have a JK MidTri40 at 68ft and a JK BigTri at 48ft. The other
antennas I used are an 80m lambda/4 and my trusty 160m Inverted L hanging off a
tree at ~60ft.
Thanks everyone and till next time!
Wolf, NN7CW