[3830] CQWW CW DQ4Q(@DJ5FI) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW DQ4Q(@DJ5FI) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 21:19:34 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: DQ4Q
Operator(s): DK8ZB LZ5VK
Station: DJ5FI

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Babenhausen
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  141    15       74
   80:  733    25      107
   40: 1489    37      145
   20: 1552    37      148
   15:  166    29       85
   10:   37    11       29
------------------------------

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to the support and hospitality of Barney (DK8ZB) and Achim (DJ5FI) this
contest turned to be a big BIG fun. Starting from callsign and category
selection, going through fieldday style setup of additional 3L beam for 15M that
we towed from a not-so-distant location, installation of LZ1AQ's receiving loops
with size that was not able to convince Barney we'll hear something but managed
to turn his opinion 180 degrees, THE CONTEST itself and ending up with
dismantling antennas that Barney set up the week before the contest but never
got used during it.

Of course, we had time to improve the heart of the station so eventually ended
with 2x Icoms supporting the fridge, 2x FTdx101D for the real thing and improved
ergonomy and cabling organization in operator positions. We all know that there
are always spaghetti of wires and cables in this "wireless" hobby so
any small step there is a big win!

I believe that, contrary to me, Barny managed to get few hours nap before the
contest. Even in such a condition running M/S with only two operators (DK8ZB and
LZ5VK) is not merely a challenge. Each of us spent about 38-40 hours in front of
the radio, so effectively more than 30% of the time operation was Single-Op, HI.

Band conditions were kind of OK, lots of QSOs on 20 and below and very poor 15
and 10 meters. Driven by some enthusiasm that I cannot explain now, I spent the
Sunday morning trying to chase few stations on 15 instead of working at a steady
rate on 20 ... lack of sleep definitely distorts reality perception.

No words are enough to describe the feeling when working on the 101 - great RF
frontend, ergonomic controls. It was fun to hear the stereo effect caused by
both receivers on the low bands as signals were fading out from one antenna and
appearing on the other one. As we've already been discussing with LZ4AX, it
seems that after a long pause Yaesu did it again and FTdx101 is going to be a
worthy successor of the legendary FT-1000 series transceivers.

Last but not at least our special thanks goes to Achim for letting us use his
superb station!

On behalf of the team:
Vesko
LZ5VK