[3830] ARRL 160 K4XL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K4XL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 15:43:09 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: K4XL
Operator(s): K4XL
Station: K4XL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 925  Sections = 74  Countries = 46  Total Score = 234,156

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The first night was the best, by far.  I ran 90% of the time.  S&P
occasionally but the rate was better when running...usually.  I worked a number
of QRP stations some signing their call with /QRP as a suffix however most did
not.  I was happy to work my friend, W1IE.  Jerry was running 4.9 watts and
sounded great.  I understand that in order to work Hawaii he had to increase
power to the full 5 watts.

I stood in line for too long trying to work Alaska only to have KL7SB call me on
the last morning!  I needed 9 sections for a clean sweep.  Four were Canadians,
two of which were on the band, but I was never able to get through.

Generally speaking, the conditions could have been a lot better, but could also
have been a lot worse.  The solar indices were in the "punk" region
for the entire contest.

I was happy to work a bunch of my local PVRC chapter members whose signals
varied between loud and rock-crushing.

Murphy report:  Firday, noon, I decided to walk my beverages, more for the
exercise than any thing else.  I found my main Europe beverage on the ground
with a large limb across it.  The fix was fairly easy, but involved more
exercise than I was planning on.  During the contest I observed what appears to
be a bad connection somewhere in the antenna system.  The SWR bounced between
1.2:1 and 1.5:1.  Nothing caught fire, so this will be a Sunday afternoon, post
contest, project.

I love this contest and am sort of proud of my 925 QSOs, but am amazed, and
definitely humbled, that some found almost twice that number.  I'm puzzled by
where all those other stations were hiding from me!

Station:
IC-7800
Alpha 78
Folded unipole