[3830] ARRL 160 UA9BA SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 UA9BA SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 16:36:16 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: UA9BA
Operator(s): UA9BA
Station: UA9BA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Karataban MO04uq
Operating Time (hrs): ~15 hr

Total:  QSOs = 22  Sections = 17  Countries = 0  Total Score = 748

Club: Ural Contest Group

Comments:

Rig: IC756 proIII + 400 W home brew  ampl.
Ant: RX/TX Lazy sloper off 31 mh tower top.

It was another very interesting 15 hour adventure as it always is on the Top
Band. Some signals were just amazingly strong. I guess scientists still need to
evaluate how it is possible on 1800 kHz that signals propagate so well over such
long distances with such low gain antennas on both ends.
1st morning 22:00-00:00-04:00z was so-so. K1A (which stn was that?), K1DG, K1LZ
were loudest US stns with signals up to s7 on the meter. NP2J was very loud,
whilst NP2P was just discernable. NP4Z had a discent signal as well. The 1st qso
in my log though was Victor N8OO with very good signal. I logged him almost 2
hours earlier than the 2nd US qso which was K1LZ. In between I didn't hear a
thing from the US nor VE, but CA and SA and Africa with very loud signals. D4C
was peaking at +25-30dB. 3V8SF - never heard him this loud s8-9 on the meter.
LU8DPM seemed to be just everywhere, he must've been QSYing a hundred times per
hour. An hour before my SR I started hearing many US signals from all over the
continent. Very (VERY) few answered my calls, though. So, the 1st 5 hours ended
with only 7 QSOs in the log.
After the sunset period started with a fantstic signal from Pat N9RV and an easy
"one touch QSO". Then right after that a couple of Alberta stations
and Alaska. And again like in the morning I was calling and calling some Mid
West stns but with no luck. So, the 1st 24 hrs brought 11 QSOs.
2nd morning started with an unbelievable signal from N0NI. It sounded so
promising! But alas that was it for the next 5 hours! Except a quick one with
NP2P. This morning they sorta switched positions with NP2J. The latter was just
audible while NP2P was rocking. But no US signals!
The end of the contest from 12:00 through 15:00z was most productive with 10
more QSOs and again like the 1st morning many unanswered attempts from my side.

Thank you all for the FUN in a BIG WAY!

73! Willy UA9BA

P.S. Win Test shows Time ON 1h18min :-)