[3830] FT RUp AB1J SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] FT RUp AB1J SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 21:22:24 +0000
                    FT Roundup - 2019

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Waltham, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 22:26

------------
   80:   91
   40:  253
   20:  264
   15:    3
   10:
------------
Total:  611  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 42  Total Score = 56,823

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

The above QSO total excludes dupes.

This was an accidental contest as I had no intention of doing much operating. I
did it last year with no joy, but I thought I should put a few hours this year
and work on my technique.

I started late and went Christmas tree shopping with my wife and did some
household chores. Missed the first hour entirely and the next two were kind of
hit or miss but once I got going things went well and I ended up putting in
almost a full time effort.

And we got a nice Christmas tree.

I concentrated mostly on simplex S&P. I found I could maintain a good rate
doing S&P as there was a steady supply of running stations.

I set the program to prompt me for logging (as opposed to Automatic) and only
logged when prompted but when QSOs went wrong there were extra prompts which I
tried to ignore. Plus, some QSOs weren't logged that the other guy probably
thought were complete. The reverse was true too, I'm sure. There was a lot of
logging confusion.

There were also lots of late calls, resulting in interleaved QSOs. Some I tried
to sort out. Others, not.

The log is a mess and I expect a significant score reduction due to logging
confusion. Last year I had an embarrassing 9.4% reduction. Color me red.

Maybe it's time for the robots to take over.

It was convenient for the sponsors to pattern this contest after the ARRL RTTY
Roundup but it's too bad they kept the boring scoring system. Most contests
allow mults per band.

Although I had a good time and was successful, I'm still not all that
comfortable with FTx contesting and have lots of issues to sort out and things
to learn.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+  WSJT-X 2.1.2
20m & 15m: attic dipoles
80m & 40m: outdoor 66' end fed under-the-radar stealth wire and indoor
stealth counterpoise.
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog