[3830] ARRL 160 AC0C SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ac0c@epak.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 AC0C SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 03:48:31 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: AC0C
Operator(s): AC0C
Station: AC0C

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 14:17

Total:  QSOs = 1159  Sections = 81  Countries = 46  Total Score = 315,736

Club: Kansas City Contest Club

Comments:

Was having a casual go trying to follow K3PA and a few other local guys'
progress via the online scoring system.  The 160m contests are always a lot of
fun for rate and I had heard about the marvelous DX conditions so expected to
catch some of the excitement.

Never did find the great DX though.  In fact it was pretty bizarre prop.  K3PA
sent me a message saying he had a run of DX and wished me luck.  He's about 50
miles NW.  We have about the same TX signal strength, was operating about 5 Khz
away, I've got slightly better RX antennas and a similar rural low noise
location - yet in the same period I heard nothing here!  Then again the old
timer 160 guys around here don't seem surprised at all.  Viva la 160m mystery
band.

Gear worked here with no issues.  And the bands were so quiet!  The HiZ system
got an overhaul this summer and that work has proven to have paid off great as I
found almost no circumstance where the HiZ was not better.  The F/B is really
fantastic now as well - in fact I had been struggling to pick out what I thought
were some weak EU guys only to later realize they were reasonably strong US
stations out in 6/7 land!

Thanks for the Qs.  And look forward to seeing you all in the ARRL RTTY RU, CQ
160 and CQ WPX RTTY contests in the new year.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com

Yaesu FTdx-5000mp w/HB amp
Full sized 160m vertical for transmit