[3830] ARRL 10 WB8WKQ SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, seismadude2@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 WB8WKQ SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 02:03:03 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: WB8WKQ
Operator(s): WB8WKQ
Station: WB8WKQ

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  105    40
  SSB:   14    10
-------------------
Total:  119    50  Total Score = 22,400

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Yikes!  Well, Friday night (local) was pretty decent.  I got about half of my
Q's then.  The band was open to the west coast, even though it was dark here.
Unfortunately, I was on an hour long conference call or may have done better,
because the rest of the contest was a struggle for me.  Saturday afternoon had a
nice little opening to SA. Contacts had to be quick, because it was just
"bursts" of hearing stations, and then they were gone.  This was true
for a lot of the contest.  It amazed me that it seemed like the band was better
after dark, which makes no sense to me.  I also haven't learned the back scatter
phenomenon, so I was always changing the antenna position, possibly to my
detriment.  I guess most of us were in the same situation, although I wonder if
it's worse up here in the northern part of the U.S.  I went mixed mode, but
didn't spend much time on phone, and I probably should have.  I just figured if
the signals on CW were so weak, I probably wouldn't hear much on phone.  I could
always hear my "neighbors", NA8V and N8LJ pounding the brass.  Thanks
for all the Q's and lets hope for better conditions next year.