[3830] TBDC N9ADG Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N9ADG Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 15:33:15 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - 2019

Call: N9ADG
Operator(s): N9ADG
Station: N9ADG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CN88
Operating Time (hrs): 3:30
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 95  Total Score = 602

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

With no antennas for 160m, I haven't done the TBDC in a number of years.

This year, I didn't let that stop me as I used the rig's tuner to load up my 80m
dipole that is usually resonant at about 3625 (yeah, I know, I don't know why
it's resonant there either). Without the Flex 6600 tuner, SWR is >3:1. With
the tuner, it claims it's below 1.5:1. I'm sure the lossy coax I'm using helps
in this regard.

My ambition started small. Starting an hour late, the first few stations I
worked were in Oregon. Then Montana. OK! This might work! Got on the rest of the
contest sporadically -- about 3:30 op time. Conditions seemed OK on Saturday
night, highlights were working a VA2, PJ2, KV4, but BETTER on Sunday early AM.
Best DX was JH4UYB; though I heard RT0F, JA3YBK, JA5DQH wasn't able to work
them. Seems like receiving on the 80m dipole is a lot quieter than 1/4 wave
verticals for 160 I've used on this band :-)

73, Brian N9ADG