[3830] TBDC N9TF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9tf@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC N9TF Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 16:25:50 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - 2019

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 9.8

Total:  QSOs = 320  Total Score = 1,239

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I was hoping conditions from Christmas night would hang in there for the Big
Stew, and they did! Was able to work seven DX, three of which were EU (one more
new band fill). Heard many more EU that could not hear me. Some in the clear, no
callers, and some with many callers. I would say best conditions to EU heard
from this little pistols station, ever!
Prop to EU must have affected Prop to west coast though it seemed. Only 24 of
144 grids worked were in the DM/DN/CM/CN grids. Some of the signals from CA,OR
and WA sounded "watery" with really fast QSB, which made it hard to
copy calls and exchange most of time.
Set a goal of 300 Qs and made it,(personal best!). Had one good run in the
evening right after dinner that netted 111 Qs in 78 minutes, pretty steady.
Struggled a bit on the key board several times with fat fingers, really screwing
up a few Qs. In my haste to wipe and correct, I would hit wrong key after wrong
key, and sounded like a lid!! Thank you to those who hung in there to finish the
Q. I think I need a keyboard with bigger keys!
Logged my last Q at 0757UTC and went to bed with the plan to get up just before
sunrise to give it one more shot. That didn't happen... Slept sound until just
after 1500UTC.
Always a fun contest, even with low power and a lower hanging wire for an
antenna.
Thanks for all the Qs!

73 Gene, N9TF

Rig, K3S 100 watts to a W8AMZ (original) shortened (67') half sloper at 35'
apex, aimed about 60 degrees azimuth.