[3830] TBDC NG7M Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC NG7M Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 16:43:27 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - 2019

Call: NG7M
Operator(s): NG7M
Station: NG7M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Utah
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

Total:  QSOs = 154  Total Score = 577

Club:

Comments:

Thanks for all the QSO's, I only operated Saturday Evening.  The band seemed to
be in fine shape, however, I only worked one EU station from Utah right at the
start Saturday evening when the band was open at dusk.

Okay, now for a soap box rant.  During the contest, I get a nasty gram from W6NV
telling me to read the rules because I was spotting stations that I worked while
pouncing.  Basically I was being accused of cheating where spotting networks
shouldn't be used in the SP.  I was not using spots, however I was sending
spots, which should always be promoted IMHO even when you are operating
not-assisted, which is everyone in the SP right?

What I do is I still connect to the cluster and I turn off spots with the 'set
dx output off' on an AR-Cluster node.  And then I continue to spot stations when
pouncing.  Why would I do this?  Because #1, it advertises the fact that there
is a lot of activity on 160 and it reminds guys/gals that a contest is in
progress.  Driving more activity to the contest is a good thing AND casual
stations that may not even enter or submit a log will jump on and work some
stations, looking for new states etc.. on 160.  So that is my rational.
Everyone is on their honor to not use the spotting network while operating.

Another point I want to make is that the CW skimmer network is spotting every
station anyway and the cheaters will use the RBN if they want to cheat.  So
again, many casual operators don't even know how to leverage or use the RBN
spots from DX clusters out there... hence my tendency to send spots via the
human network to drive activity.

The other question I have here is why is W6NV looking at the spotting network if
he is working the Stew Perry???  He is telling me to read the rules regarding
not using spotting networks, but there he is looking at the spotting network
because he sees my flurry of spots that I send while I'm pouncing.  One could
just as easily accuse him of cheating.  It's like the pot calling the kettle
black in this case.   However, I was not using spots... I'm on my honor for that
fact.  I have them turned off.

I will continue to do what I have done in the past... when I'm not assisted, I
will turn off incoming spots and continue to send outgoing spots for my assited
friends out there that are running assisted.  This makes total sense and it
drives ops to operate in the contests.  It reminds them that something is going
on.  We shouldn't just assume that everyone knows about skimmer CW spots etc...
most guys in my experience are still relying on the human spots.

So off my soap box... sending spots is okay regardless of the contest.  There is
a little tool called a filter if you don't want to see domestic spots etc...
learn how to use the filters and stop policing what spots show up on the dx
spotting networks.  That's really the solution here.  Shame on you for not using
filters so you see spots you are interested in.  And don't throw out accusations
of cheating and quips about reading the rules as they related to spotting.
Sending spots is never a bad thing... ever.  Cheating is a bad thing and ops are
required to understand the rules and shouldn't be using spots when they are
going to claim an unassisted entry like everyone does in the SP.

Off my soap box that likely nobody will read!  The SP is always fun and you
should not use a spotting network.  I'm still not aware of a rule that says
spots shouldn't be sent... driving interest and advertising activity on 160 in a
contest or any other contest is a good thing.  Not looking at spots and only
sending them in the SP should be a welcome exercise to attract attention.
Cheaters will cheat... and the RBN spots are there and read to assist the
cheaters in the SP and nobody will know.

Max NG7M