[3830] RAC Winter WB0TEV SO SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vmpaul@iname.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter WB0TEV SO SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 22:53:30 +0000
                    RAC Winter Contest - 2019

Call: WB0TEV
Operator(s): WB0TEV
Station: WB0TEV

Class: SO SSB HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 15:16

  160:           3                 1
   80:          67                 9
   40:         311                 9
   20:         511                12
   15:          28                 7
   10:           1                 0
    6:           0                 0
    2:           0                 0
Total:   0     921       0        38  Total Score = 189,088

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

TS-590SG, Dentron MLA 2500 amp, RSPduo SDR RX, N1MM+, Mosley PRO-67B at 63 ft,
40m vertical w/ 24 radials, 80m inverted V, shunt feed tower for 160m.

After missing out on this contest in 2017 and 2018 I was ready to dive back in.

North Texas is a great place to be propagation wise to work Canada.  RAC Winter
and the July 1 Canada Day Contests are a couple of my favorites.  Worked all
mults on 20m save NU. Running unassisted, I had to hope that the rare ones would
come to me, and they did.  VE8RAC and VE8NSD called me from NT and VY1RAC
followed by VY1FC from YT called me Saturday afternoon on 20m.

PE came in the form of VY2RAC on both 40 and 80 Friday night, VY2SEC on 40 late
Saturday afternoon and VY2MP Saturday morning first on 20m followed by a
successful move to 15 a minute later.

I figured the only hope for NU would be if VY0ERC showed up.  After the contest
I read on their qrz.com page that that station went QRT Dec 10 and won't be back
on the air until Feb/March 2020.

The only VE QSO I had on 160 was right around dawn here when I moved a VE4 there
and just barely made the QSO.  I might have made more on 160 if I had stayed up
later but I chose to assume horizontal polarization and start snoring CQ around
0430Z. Was back on the air a little after 1300Z.

I managed to work all the provinces on 80-15m with the following exceptions:
BC: nothing on 80m (Really?!)
MB: no joy on 15
NS: struck out on 40
NT: 20m was the only band with propagation
NU: None of it!
ON: was apparently too close for 15m despite several move attempts
SK: like MB and ON, I needed to be further distant for 15 to work
YT: same story at NT, 20m is was the only band open.

10m was useless.  Only 1 QSO there and that was with a local guy 30 miles away.

One of the more satisfying moments was during my run on 40m in the final 90
minutes of the contest I was still lacking NL and NS on that band. In between
QSO's and CQ's I bemoaned their lack and occasionally would put out a call
specifically for such.  After one such plaintive supplication, I heard what
sounded like a VO1 callsign in the midst of all the callers and low and behold
it was VO1EGH who plugged that hole in the mult chart.  Alas, no VE1 was to be
had on 40, but it sure was nice picking up that one last mult.

Thanks for all the QSOs (of which just slightly less than half were with
Canada).

73,
Victor WB0TEV