[3830] RTTY Roundup W3KB SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, keith@w3kb.net
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W3KB SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2020 22:49:27 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2020

Call: W3KB
Operator(s): W3KB
Station: W3KB

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs):

   80:   101        0
   40:   113       84
   20:   172       38
   15:    10        7
   10:     0        0
-----------------------
Total:   396      129  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 46  Total Score = 51,450

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Used RTTY and FT4 Only.

I do have some observations to make. The ARRL RTTY Roundup has been mostly RTTY
until lately. It opened up to the use of FT8 and FT4 only recently.

My comment is this: It was opened up to FT8 and FT4 for a reason. It encouraged
contesting via the these new digital modes.

They have to operate somewhere:

The frequencies generally used for FT4 are: 3576, 7047.5 and 14080.

Yes, these can also be used for RTTY....but here is where the "issue"
is.  Folks, this is a contest but have some respect for those trying to contest
on FT4 using those frequencies.  Notice above that I was not able to make one
single FT4 Digital QSO on 80 meters on 3576 because it was jammed with RTTY
signals.

It did happen on 40 meters (7047.5) also but not as badly.

On Sunday afternoon, there was one particular station who decided to camp out
directly on 14080 (the FT4 frequency) and call away on CQ.

Yes, you have the right to operate RTTY there, but again let's simply show some
respect and courtesy for those who are trying to contest on FT4 as part of this
overall great event.

Many thanks,

Keith W3KB