[3830] NAQP CW K8BKM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K8BKM Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 05:21:43 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K8BKM
Operator(s): K8BKM
Station: K8BKM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:  124    38
   80:  252    43
   40:  171    48
   20:  100    24
   15:   23     8
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  671   162  Total Score = 108,702

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC Team 2

Comments:

Wow, it was a sprint finish to beat my previous for a new PR in NAQP CW, but
only by about 300 points. This year I had fewer Q's and more mults that my
previous best in 2017.

Started out on 20 again because prop seemed good, but I did mostly S&P the
first hour or so. 20 was open to the south (FL) and west (CA) but lots of holes.
Tried 15 but was only able to work a few handfuls of CA. Ran into a local on 15
and we ran the bands including 10 on ground wave - my only six band station,
NA8V - thanks Greg, and my only Q on 10. Moved to 40 early before the pack and
worked local / regional before band went long. The remaining strategy was
similar to previous years - trying to be very band agile and going back to the
higher bands as the prop moved west and longer. This year 80 was my best band by
far. I held a run frequency and produced high rates for a long time before
taking my second 30 minute break. Came back and started on 160 before most of
the crowd arrived. By the end of the night I was flipping between 80 and 160
trying to run and also hunt for mults.

I was really worried about the forecast for "icemageddon" in Michigan,
and prepared for a power outage. Turns out all we had was rain all day - no ice.
Thankfully. However, I'm pretty sure that the weather nationwide had a negative
impact on participation. I saw on the news many reports of ice, snow, wind,
tornadoes and all kinds of bad weather which probably kept many off the air.

I still think there's room for improvement in my score, so I'll try to beat it
next time ;)

Thanks for the Q's

73, Tom
K8BKM