[3830] NAQP CW W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W6YX(N7MH) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 06:00:34 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   58    21
   80:  155    41
   40:  387    52
   20:  487    55
   15:  150    32
   10:    4     1
-------------------
Total: 1241   202  Total Score = 250,682

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC Team #2

Comments:

Wasn't sure I'd be able to get on for this one, or for full-time, so ended up on
team #2. My plan to arrive at the shack early and have everything ready in
plenty of time was thwarted by unplanned tasks on the home front. I arrived
about 10 minutes before the starting bell, got the computer booted, moved two
coax jumpers to my K3 SO2R set-up, rotated antennas to the east, and got the log
set up.

With two minutes to go I was ready and set up to begin on 10 and 15, planning to
move to 20 quickly if 10 was dead. If someone called me on 10 in the first few
minutes I didn't hear them as the K3 had started up in a deaf state (signals
showing on P3 but not heard). Turning the filter width knob brought the receiver
back to normal and I heard and worked K9YC on 10 and then jumped into the fray
on 20.

Meanwhile, 15 started out slowly for me and shortly after switching the other
radio to 20 I had high SWR on 15. Switching antennas didn't help so I deduced
that it must be the coax jumper that I'd moved. The rate on 20 was over 200 and
I didn't want to interrupt to replace the faulty jumper so I ignored 15 for 25
minutes and my Qs and mults on 15 are lower than they could have been. I
probably should have fixed the jumper earlier. I ended up with a first hour of
172 despite working only 5 Qs in the first 6 minutes and having the problems on
15.

20 was very good while it lasted. I revisited 10 on the hour and worked 3 more
nearby stations. The low bands were noisy and several Qs on 160 were ESP level.
One station instead of sending the exchange gave a signal report and sent
"INFO IN QRZ". No response when I asked for Name at QRS speed, so not
logged.

Only VEs worked were 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 but heard VE6 calling someone. Never heard
ND, but worked all other states. W1's only on 40 and 20 except for MA also on 80
and 15. NA DX was HR, KP2, KP4, VP5 and XE; one band each.

73,
-Mike, N7MH