[3830] NAQP SSB 8P5A M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB 8P5A M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 22:35:56 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: 8P5A
Operator(s): KA1JJR W2SC
Station: 8P5A

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Barbados
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:    6     6
   80:   92    33
   40:  502    48
   20:  861    57
   15:  224    42
   10:    3     3
-------------------
Total: 1688   189  Total Score = 319,032

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

This is the fourth time my wife Kathy and I did the NAQP.  The second time just
the two of us.  Last year we had to miss it due to her surgery, but it was good
to be back.

Our strategy is simple.  Kathy starts on 15 and moves to 40, while I do the
other bands.  Usually she makes the majority of the contacts.

This year, we did not hear a single SSB signal on 15 before the contest.  Even
the FT8 signals were weak.  We debated what to do if 15 never opened to the US.
As it turns out, there was a very modest opening and she had a slow trickle of
callers for a few hours.  She stayed for as long as she could get any answers at
all.  Then she QSY'd to 40 for the rest of the contest.  The band was steady,
but much slower than the last time we did this.

20 was good for a few hours, and then it closed abruptly in the 23Z hour.  After
that, it was nearly impossible for me to break through on 80 and 160 as I made
less than 100 Q's total in the final 6 hours.

We could have used another 100 Q's on 15/80, and the mults to go with them, but
it was not to be, and we had our lowest ever score in this event.

Still some fun moments, and at least the station worked perfectly

Congrats to the winners who led the way

73, Tom W2SC