[3830] ARRL Jan VHF WA7JTM Single Op Port QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pscolawa7jtm@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF WA7JTM Single Op Port QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 21:37:13 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  143    25  Total Score = 6,550

Club:

Comments:

This year I operated QRP portable from a SOTA summit in DM33. I started hiking
to the peak at 6 AM with a flashlight in hand and 43 pounds of stuff in my
backpack. I also hand carried the "Antenna Bundle" (Six smallish
yagis, one for each band). I left non-essential stuff home, like food.

I arrived on the peak before sunrise only to be greeted with 40 MPH gusting
winds that made setting up(and keeping warm) a challenge. My first contact was
at 7:38 AM with the antenna array rotating wherever it wanted to in the high
winds. The wind finally abated around 9:30 or so.

The contest itself was very busy. I managed to work lots of stations in the
seven hours I was on the summit. I also missed working many other stations with
all of the activity on six bands I had. There were 9 other SOTA summits on the
air, Six (maybe more?)Rovers in the state, and many, many home stations. It was
very busy.

Anyhow, I ran outta gas (and time) around 20:30 in the afternoon (1:30 local
time). Had to pack it all up, hike down to the Jeep, and 4x4 my way back to the
freeway in the Jeep.

So it was a good contest, but I actually scored a few points less than last
year, mostly due to missing a few grid squares I figure. Still trying to figure
it all out.

Anyhow, was fun, and I will likely do it all again next year. The only question
now is how am I gonna get that dish up on the hill for the higher bands.  DOH!

Thanks to all for the QSO's!!!

73
Pete
WA7JTM