[3830] CQ160 CW WD6T(@N6RO) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WD6T(@N6RO) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 20:24:37 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WD6T
Operator(s): WD6T
Station: N6RO

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 539  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 34  Total Score = 132,880

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Health issues (mine and family) limited participation, including causing late
start on Friday and early quitting time each night (before Asia/Pacific
opening). Still, got sucked in and had fun.  Last year, Ken and I did an M2.
This year, did it myself, and operated seven fewer hours. Made fewer Qs, but
still had more DX mults.

Operating "assisted" helped DX total, but also tormented me with all
the unheard EUs being spotted and worked by those further east. Most annoying
was when a European station would come on my well-established run frequency and
I'd suddenly have to contend with stations calling him. I assume this is because
he wasn't running assisted, and couldn't hear me... or at least, that's the
charitable interpretation.

The first night, the only EUs I worked were EA and a CT3. Perhaps I wasn't
trying as hard, as rates were much higher (average 86 for first three hours,
then average 50, compared to average of 35 the second night). The second night
worked a few more Europeans, though almost all were barely audible.

By the way, I just realized that the CW sound of the second half of my new
call-- "6T" --sounds an awful like "TEST," so there may have
been some wishful thinking going on with a few of the extreme ESPs.

DX worked: C6, CM, CT, CT3, CU, CX, D4, DL, EA, EU, F, FM, G, HC, HI, I, J6, JA,
KH6, KL, KP2, KP4, LU, LY, OK, P4, PJ2, PJ4, SM, TI, UA, XE, YV, ZF.

States missed: CT (REALLY??), NE and DC, but got ND, which has been missing in a
number of recent contests. Of the VEs, missed all the N*'s and PE.  (Did get LB
and YT, though.)

Except for first few hours, was mostly operating SO2V (with Flex6600M, PGXL and
wire 4-square.)  Due to limitations of operating remotely, did not have control
of receive antennas, so didn't use them; nor the ability to steer the 4-square.
Perhaps this affected my ability to dig out the DX somewhat. Ken jumped in a few
times to turn the antenna so I could work HC and LU, and then Japan.

Thanks to Ken for allowing me to jam on his TopBand ax.